Dave and I used to have a solid Sunday morning routine in our draughty cold house on the cliffs above the sea. 10am through until midday was Super Soul Sunday time: Big pots of coffee, poached eggs, newspapers, absolutely no work and the Reverend Al Green and lots of other great soul music blasting from the stereo. Whoever woke up first put the music on loud enough to wake the rest of the house. Guests crashing over on our sofa had no choice but to wake up and engage, and friends would come by for the morning bringing breakfast stuff, newspapers or music with them.
It's a damn fine way to take some time out on the weekend, so go get on i-tunes or spotify, or heaven forbid perhaps actually get some good old fashioned cd's back in your life and hunt down these tunes, the ones that influenced and informed the current revival and rehash of soul music that's all over the radio these days.
Right here, right now, An Tor Orth An Mor presents the Super Soul Sunday playlist for your aural enjoyment. Hallelujah!
- Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
- Martha Reeves And The Vandellas - Heatwave
- Al Green - Keep Me Cryin'
- Sam And Dave - Hold On, I'm Coming
- Martha Reeves And The Vandellas - Nowhere To Run
- Little Richard And The Disciples Of Soul - Inside Of Me
- Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons - The Night
- Tony Clarke - Landslide
- Dusty Springfield - Live It Up
- Gloria Jones - Tainted Love
- The Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache
- Marlena Shaw - Let's Wade In The Water
- Stevie Wonder - Uptight (Everything Is Alright)
- Sam And Dave - Soul Man
- The Temptations - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Wilson Pickett - Land Of 1000 Dances
- Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up (LP Version)
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Parts I&II)
- The Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing
Image: Dave getting into the music sat on the workbench in The Pit one Super Soul Sunday a few weeks back, mug of coffee just out of shot.